I felt like January was an exceptional reading month. It was good in other respects, too; I received my Indefinite Leave to Remain visa for the UK and celebrated my birthday on the 12th. I’ve made peace with the fact that I’m never going to resume a review every weekday, I don’t read enough or have time to write 5 reviews, and have aimed for 3 instead, which I’ve been managing pretty well. I haven’t decided if I’m going to fill the other two days with something or not, we’ll see where the mood takes me!
In terms of actual reading, I finished sixteen books and most of them were excellent. I typically haven’t found the time to review them all yet, not even close, but if you stick around, I’ll be sharing some absolute gems with you later on this month!
Here’s what I read:
- Arthur & George, Julian Barnes
- Castle in the Air, Diana Wynne Jones
- Death Masks, Jim Butcher
- The Art of Fielding, Chad Harbach
- If Jack’s in Love, Stephen Wetta
- A Lady’s Lesson in Scandal, Meredith Duran
- Miles, Mutants, and Microbes, Lois McMaster Bujold
- Full Dark, No Stars, Stephen King
- A Rogue by Any Other Name, Sarah Maclean
- Spartacus, Ben Kane
- Affinity, Sarah Waters
- The Winter Palace, Eva Stachniak
- Blood Rites, Jim Butcher
- Agent to the Stars, John Scalzi
- The Etymologicon, Mark Forsyth
Favorite of the Month
I can’t pick just one, so have both! I loved both of these and recommend them whole-heartedly. It’s early now, but I’m confident they will end up on my best of 2012 list.
Ahead for February
There are so many books I wish I could be reading now that it’s difficult to choose! I’ve just started World War Z and I’ve been reading The History of the World in 100 Objects, which covers the history of the whole world through various objects at the British Museum. It’s a fascinating book – I love how much the author can pull from just one object, and I’m looking forward to seeing some of the objects in person (most for the 2nd or 3rd time) when I head to London towards the end of February.
Other books I’d just love to get to:
- Leviathan Wakes, James S.A. Corey
- A Discovery of Witches, Deborah Harkness
- The Hare with Amber Eyes, Edmund de Waal
- The Kingdom of the Gods, N.K. Jemisin